Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Magic of Macy's


I'm not going to lie. Department stores can be a little tough for me to deal with. C
ertainly, there is a huge selection and the prices are usually quite competitive. But having so many options spread out across a huge building can be a little overwhelming to me. However, factor in shopping for a good cause? Donating money to charity while I'm there? Receiving a special discount for being charitable?

I think I can suck it up for a few hours...

On October 16, shoppers can do all of the above at the Shop for a Cause event at Macy's. With your $5 donation to a participating local charity (see the fantastic list of charities here), you receive a special shopping pass that gives you 20% off all full-priced items purchased that day or an extra 10% off sale and clearance purchases. On top of all that good-doing, you receive an ADDITIONAL 25% off one regular priced item.

With all of these incentives and the opportunity to help out a nonprofit group, I decided it was worth checking out the Macy's website. Imagine my surprise when I saw favorite brands like 7 For All Mankind and Joe's Jeans next to old reliables like BCBG and Rachel Rachel Roy! I also noticed that several animal rescue foundations, the American Heart Association and Habitat for Humanity could benefit from Macy's Shop for a Cause. Hmmm...why have I been avoiding Macy's for so long??

I decided to pre-shop to determine some of my favorites...

I mean, who doesn't need a not-too-basic black dress? (DIG the little touch of leather!)


Or a cute top/skinny jeans/flats combo? (SEVEN jeans no less!)



And, of course, I am on the hunt for a fashionable yet functional coat for this fall's unpredictable weather...


It's no secret that I spend (way too) much time navigating the fashion world and assembling various combinations for the maximum impact of chic. But it's important to recognize other people's struggles or aspirations. Helping a group do something good is an honor and a privilege. In the last five years, Macy's has been able to raise more than $34 million for local nonprofits with the Shop for a Cause event. So get out there and do some good! And have a little fun while you're at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Savoir-Flair. I look forward to reading your comments!