Monday, August 2, 2010

Secret Layer

Phillip Lim's glamorous art of layering- Greek goddess meets working girl.

By now you know me well enough to realize that I'm a sucker for sequins. As I may have mentioned, I was named after a "Dynasty" character in 1983, so I must come by it honestly.

But I'm also a patron of the practical on a day-to-day basis and find layering to be the best way to get me through nearly every part of my day- at the gym, at work, running errands, etc.

Imagine my delight when Phillip Lim combined the two ideas into one gourgeous outfit!

On Net-A-Porter, I discovered his new looks for this year's Fall/Winter Collection. The featured look above is the combination of two great pieces, a purple sequined silk top and crepe-jersey asymmetrical dress.

This...

3.1 Phillip Lim Asymmetrical Silk-Crepe Tunic


Plus this...

3.1 Phillip Lim Asymmetric Crepe-Jersey Dress

Equals That!

Each of these pieces is a show-stopper on its own. You could absolutely wear the navy dress sans sequin top with metallic heels for a night of dinner and dancing. And the same sequin top was also shown paired with several other pieces on the runway, including this skirt and top combo.

Sequin Top with Draped Skirt on the Runway.

For the runway, the designer styled the elegant skirt with suspenders, but, in reality, the skirt on its own is the perfect staple item for any career girl.

3.1 Phillip Lim Crepe-Jersey Draped Wrap Skirt

Lim also offered a toned down version of his layered vision, making an ethereal silk tunic to throw on over shorts (as seen on the runway) or a body-con dress (as seen on Net-A-Porter).

Runway

Net-A-Porter Reality

Of course, if you find mixing these layering pieces together too daunting, Lim offered one artfully made piece that offers the illusion of two, his sequin-embellished silk dress.


These glamorous pieces make me long for more black tie events in my life (or should I say, ANY black-tie events!) and a bigger bank account! Regardless of my personal limitations, Lim certainly offered some real gems on the runway this fall. I can't wait to see which starlets sparkle in them this fall...

2 comments:

  1. Really cool, Linds! I have not seen this idea before. I love it! I will have to work on my layering this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could definitely see you working this with your Butter dress and a fun long-sleeve tee or blouse...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Savoir-Flair. I look forward to reading your comments!