Monday, August 30, 2010

Emmy Shimmy: A Shakedown of Last Night's Red Carpet Looks

While Claire Danes won the Emmy for her performance in "Temple Grandin" last night, she also takes one of my awards for superior style on last night's red carpet.

Personally, I love gold on the red carpet and Danes keeps her Armani Prive strapless column dress stunningly simple- polished hair, glowing skin and the absence of distracting baubles. She looks gorgeous and appropriate for a nominee turned winner!

I also loved Julie Benz's look last night. Her white asymmetrical gown paired with a high, stick straight ponytail was youthful and fresh.

Benz offered the perfect amount of sparkle with her gorgeous necklace and the embellishment around the dress's cut-out at the waist. The look was flawless with just the right amount of sex appeal.

Also sparkling in the lights of last night's red carpet was Jennifer Westfeldt. She and boyfriend Jon Hamm both wore Armani and looked very Hollywood glam.

It may not be as obvious here, but on the carpet last night, tiny flecks of green sparkle came from her charcoal degrade dress. Usually, beaded overlays and lace send me into a panic attack but this gown simply works on her.

Kelly Osbourne also looked really lovely in black Tony Ward Couture.

As the newest member of E!'s Fashion Police, Osbourne seems to have stepped it up a notch. While I don't love the skirt of this gown, the draping top is flawless on her frame.

My absolute number one favorite look of the night has to go to Kerri Russell though! In the sea of navy taffeta and blingy extras, Russell effortlessly stunned in a hot pink VINTAGE chiffon gown from her own closet. I just love the fact that a television star wore her own dress to a big event. Rare sighting!

Russell's dress is a 1970s Jean Louis Scherrer Haute Couture gown from Los Angeles' store Decades. She purchased it more than 10 years ago and wore it last night, creating an unexpected and fresh look on the red carpet. Russell paired the vintage gown with strappy gold Jimmy Choos, a Judith Leiber box clutch and whimsical Jennifer Behr hair pin. Her make-up was also clean and illuminating, done by the fabulous artists at NARS.

Kerri Russell in Jennifer Behr hair pin and NARS make-up

I also have to mention my two honorable mentions for avant-garde fashion. These ladies rocked it in their unconventional choices and I have to give them credit where credit is due.

Anna Paquin and husband Stephen Moyer in Alexander McQueen

Anna Paquin glammed it up in this high fashion Alexander McQueen stunner from his Spring 2011 collection. I applaud her bold choice and appreciate her homage to the late and great designer. To my knowledge, this gown is one of the first pieces we've been able to see from the McQueen's last collection. Several other actresses wore McQueen heels last night, but both Paquin and her new husband appropriately wore McQueen head to toe last night.


My second avant-garde honorable mention award winner is the risk-taking January Jones. Jones is not shy when it comes to fashion, and I don't always agree with her choices. But this color blue is amazing. Her eyes are just popping! You either love this dress or you hate it. Ihappen to love it. The Today Show described her as a beautiful peacock and I couldn't agree more! Her hair could have used a bit more styling- flatiron or low ponytail maybe?- but otherwise I love this Versace number. Most people would not be able to give it the body it deserved like Jones did.

Finally, two stars' rocked some rocks in the accessories category last night. Julia Louis Dreyfus and Heidi Klum both upped the ante of their black dresses with gorgeous jewelry.


Dreyfus paired gorgeous emerald earrings and a bracelet with a black Narciso Rodriguez gown.


Klum added even more interest to her Marchesa cocktail dress with her statement necklace. The vintage-inspired piece was gorgeous against her strapless neckline and drew attention to her flawless make-up. Personally, I always look to Klum for make-up looks.

Obviously, fashion is subjective and the looks I've highlighted here are just my personal favorites. I have never been a huge fan of big, poofy gowns anywhere but a debutante ball. But I hope you can appreciate them and maybe find a little inspiration for your next "red carpet" event!

2 comments:

  1. Warning: Long comment ahead.

    Claire Danes was hands-down my favorite dress. Loved the way it moved at the bottom. For me, personally, I would have loved to have cap sleeves or some sort of drapey, loose off the shoulder straps (I never wear strapless). I also definitely took note of Julia Louis-Dreyfuss's earrings too!

    January Jones is ALWAYS stunning - love the chances she takes with color. I actually liked the hair, but I don't like these dresses that are shorter in front, longer in back. To me, it puts a lot of pressure on the PERFECT shoe, which I don't think January has with this ensemble.

    Anna Paquin was probably my second fave of the night, but watching her pose for pics with Stephen Moyer made me uncomfortable (same with Lea Michelle). They were both trying wayyy too hard.

    Would have LOVED Kerri Russell's dress had it not been tea length. Came across old lady-ish and too casual, in my opinion. But I love that neon pinky color!

    But the real winners to me? John Hamm and George Clooney. SWOOOOON. And my fave character from Modern Family winning was def. a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about January Jones' shoes. The dress would have been better with a strappy sandal or peep-toe pump. Black still would have been fine but that platform pump was toooo heavy.

    There were definitely some pose-offs going on. I try to keep this blog positive, so I won't get into my critique of some unnamed young actresses that were getting on my nerves...

    Kerri Russell's dress was a bit casual BUT I LOVED the color and cut. Everyone had on black, gray, navy and metallics. She was the only one who looked fresh and youthful, even with girls there 10 years younger than she is! Too many people looked old on the carpet this year. I mean, come on people, it's August in California! She also was not a nominee, so I think it's okay to step down the formality a touch as to not distract.

    Go Eric Stonestreet!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Savoir-Flair. I look forward to reading your comments!