Monday, August 23, 2010

Fall Shopping in 110-Degree Dallas!


Rachel Bilson in J Brand Houlihan Cargo Pants

You might have noticed that I've been absent the last week or so. It's all thanks to my 10-day (lovely and refreshing) summer vacation to Louisiana and Texas with my beau. We had a great time visiting with family and friends, playing poolside with kids, puppies and kittens and even busting out some moves a la Just Dance on the Wii.

But I couldn't let a trip to Texas go by without hitting the shops in Dallas! And you'll be pleased to know that there was hardly any blue eye shadow, shoulder pads or sequins in sight! (Okay, maybe just a few sequins and shoulder pads...)

While in Dallas, we hit up my fav boutique Calypso and then the ever-expansive North Park Mall. I just had to share with you some of my favorite pieces from the trip...

First up! The Calypso Cosia Shirt in Asperge. This top is the perfect blend of structured and relaxed. The tunic hits in all the right places, the fabric is light and airy, the gold buttons add a bit of glam and its olive color is on trend for fall. PLUS it's on SALE! Even better!

Calypso Cosia Shirt in Asperge

Next, I had an eye-opening experience at Nordstrom in North Park Mall. While I had a pile of black pencil skirts and silk-charmeuse blouses in the dressing room, my helpful salesgirl kept bringing me fab extras to JUST try. I have to admit, she offered some great options and they were definitely pieces I would not have picked out for myself. But, lo and behold, I can safely admit that I am officially a fan of the J Brand Houlihan cargo pants.

J Brand Houlihans at Singer 22

Now this new love for skinny cargos may not seem like a big deal to you, but, to me- a somewhat pear shaped, petite young woman- I found it to be a major breakthrough. I haven't bought a pair yet but, for the rest of the day, I found myself wondering how different tops and sweaters would pair with these sassy pants. The key for someone with my shape is to keep the top loose and light or add a longer cardigan to balance out curves on the lower half. But they'd definitely be cute with heels, wedges, flats, booties, boots...you name it!

Even Khloe Kardashian is rockin' the look and you know that family has some curves!!

Khloe Kardashian in Houlihans and don't even get me started on these Alexander Wang wedges...le sigh...

But moving on, I also noticed that orange was everywhere! Be it coral, rust or seriously primary, it is definitely one of the colors of the season. Check out this Haute Hippie showstopper I spied in Nordstrom!

Haute Hippie Chiffon Overlay Metal Strap One-Shoulder Dress

But the department store wasn't the only spot I was drawn to the flame. J. Crew even boasted some rusty pieces, including this fun tweed skirt.

J. Crew Atomic Tweed Mini

Painterly prints also stood out amongst the orange (and did I mention the sea of LEOPARD). This Alice & Olivia cocktail dress at Neiman Marcus was absolutely adorable and, dare I say, Lela Rose-esque? It also boasted a firey glow but was tweaked with metallic flecks. Ladylike yet Spunky!

Alice & Olivia Marie Tulip Dress

I also discovered that I am in desperate need of a new pair of leggings. I fought against the whole leggings trend for a long time but have found that there is a tactful way of wearing them without giving away all your secrets, if you know waht I mean! The same style principles apply to the leggings that apply to the Houlihan cargos- we must wear loose tops, long cardigans and/or jackets to balance out the curves on the bottom half. I have yet to try the pair that I want yet, but I'm thinking a little leather inset couldn't hurt, right??

Trina Turk Duke Leather Legging

All in all, an excellent time was had by all. Clothing for the new season is definitely out there and that's always exciting. Now if we could just bring down the temp a little bit...

2 comments:

  1. I just tried on my first pair of cargos at Macy's by INC - never thought they'd look good on me (and never thought I'd find them at Macy's), but I absolutely love them, and they're only $79! I also tried on a pair of leggings I love over the weekend - they are the high waist American Apparel leggings. I think you'd like them a lot...and wow, that Alice and Olivia dress def. looks like a Lela Rose Print! I feel like I always overlook Alice and Olivia but always like what I see when I see it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Savoir-Flair. I look forward to reading your comments!