Wednesday, August 11, 2010

On the Upside-Out


J. Crew Fall 2010 Look from Envy

The first time that I spotted this inside-out outerwear look in the J. Crew fall lookbook, I was instantly taken. It combined two of the greatest fall wardrobe staples- the fabulous fur vest with the structured yet simple jacket.

Anyone I saw last fall may have assumed that my *faux fur vest was actually an extension of my own body seeing as how I wore it almost every single day. (Told you I was a fan of Rachel Zoe!)

At my sister's wedding rehearsal last October, I'm wearing my old faithful fur vest. (For the record, I wore it again at the wedding reception the next night!)

This fall, I'll be even more excited to wear it in this fun, new way instigated by the one and only Jenna Lyons at J. Crew. To get the look, Lyons took these two gorgeous pieces and styled them together.

J. Crew Mongolian Lamb Vest

J. Crew Shimmer Ruby Jacket

The mileage you can get out of these two pieces alone is worth the investment. A tailored jacket is a fantastic basic that can be useful in a casual, work or dressy atmosphere. And the vest is a fun alternative to coat. Factor in that you can wear them as a pair with boyfriend jeans or a drapey gray skirt and you are set for fall!

Another lovely layered look from J. Crew Fall 2010.

Lyons even took the rustic route and chose layering a shearling vest over an alpaca sweater. Either way, the simplicity of layering creates such an interesting look that any body style could pull off.

Check out these other fun vests and jackets that would make perfect pairs...

Rebecca Taylor Fab Faux Fur Vest from Shopbop

Marc Jacobs Military-Style Cotton-Twill Jacket from Net-A-Porter

Of course, if layering the pieces on your own is intimidating, Loeffler Randall (told you I was a fan again) created their own combination jacket where the fur is sewn on for you. No thought to it! Just throw on your jacket and go!
Loeffler Randall Fur Military Jacket for Fall 2010

So if you're looking for an interesting and easy way to up your style ante this fall, give this look a whirl. The vest will work over any tailored jacket and the pair will be easy with a tee, jeans and boots.

Remember, sometimes it's what's on the inside that counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Savoir-Flair. I look forward to reading your comments!